Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Special Waffles

Homemade Waffles! Delicious and yum! I've made homemade waffles several times since the sous chef and I have been married, and I decided to make them again this Saturday since he was playing in a Golf Tournament that day.

For recipes like these, I often turn to one of my older cookbooks, which is the Fannie Farmer Cookbook. This time, I decided to make the Special Waffles.
Recipe

Ingredients:
2 cups flour
3 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 eggs, separated
1 1/4 cups milk
4 tablespoons melted butter
3 tablespoons sugar

Combine the flour, baking powder, and salt in a bowl. In a separate bowl beat the egg yolks well, and add the milk and butter. Combine the flour and yolk mixture and beat until smooth. Beat the egg whites until stuff, but not dry. Slowly add the sugar, beating constantly. Mix a third of the beaten whites gently into the batter, then fold in the remaining whites very carefully. Spread 1/2 cup of waffle batter in the hot waffle iron. Bake until golden. Serve with syrup, butter, or whatever toppings you prefer!

Now, I know many people probably have an excess of waffles after a Sunday morning breakfast. We ate 4 and had 5 or 6 left over. What am I to do with that many extra waffles? Freeze them! How do you freeze them properly? Do as follows. Layer the waffles between wax paper as show below.

Then, light tuck the excess wax paper on the sides away and wrap all of the waffles in wax paper into a foil pouch. Tuck them away into the freezer. Remove waffles one at a time as needed. The wax paper will help you pull them away easily.

Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. Krista, you're killing me! I don't know how much longer I can follow your blog, its too hard reading about all of these delicious foods and not getting any. Also, thank goodness Nick doesn't read your blog... otherwise he would be very dissapointed in me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. they look good. Now I feel like waffles! I love that cookbook, but have never tried this recipe. Maybe this weekend ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love freezing leftover waffles. It makes a great weekday breakfast feel special!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin