Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Mmmmm Cake!

Another thing to share in order to catch up! A co worker at work had a birthday, so I decided to make a cake. Everyone was pretty excited seeing as how a) they got cake and b) it was the first time since they all started working together that someone actually recognized that people had birthdays!

I decided to forgo my normal box cake mix when making SPECIAL cakes, so I used a recipe from my KitchenAid directions/cookbook. This was also my first attempt outside the world of fondant.
KitchenAid Easy White Cake
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups sugar
3 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup shortening
1 cup low-fat milk (I used skim and it was fine)
1 teaspoon vanilla
4 egg whites
Combine dry ingredients in mixer bowl. Add shortening, milk, and vanilla. Attach bowl and flat beater to mixer. Turn to speed 2 (low) and mix about one minute. Stop and scrape bowl. Add egg whites. Turn to speed 6 and beat about 1 minute or until smooth and fluffy.
Pour batter into two greased and floured 8 or 9 inch round baking pans (uh, I used square; big surprise). Bake at 350 degrees F for 30 to 35 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes. Remove from pans. Cool completely on wire rack. Frost if desired.

IF DESIRED?! Well of course you must have MORE SUGAR in the form of frosting or icing :)I used Wilton's Buttercream Icing, but I think I used too much milk.


TaDa! My first attempt at a buttercream cake :)

Well, my next attempt is more cheesecake :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin