Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Julie & Juila

Oh my goodness, what can I say? This movie was fantastic! I'd been wanting to see this movie as soon as I heard it was coming out. I'm sure every food blogger did. That said, it was beyond my expectations. I've not read the book or ever seen Julia Child's cookbook (yes, I know, that's terrible), but this movie felt like my life on screen.

This scene specifically felt like the story of my life!!! You have dinner with your girlfriends, you look forward to it, but something is not quite right. Each of them seems to have this ...belief, er, attitude that you really don't know what you want in life or that you don't know what you are talking about. They don't give you their full attention, but you you keep asking questions wanting to know more about them. Oh my goodness. I felt like that was me on that screen! It was one of the first few scenes, and I looked at my husband (sous chef) as soon as it changed to the next scene. "Hunny, that's me!" Before I could finish, I could see it in his eyes. He knew what I was going to say, and he was thinking it, too.

Thus, this movie was one that I could really identify with. What's more important though was watching Julia learn to really cook and watch Julie learn Julia's techniques and recipes. I just wanted to be in the kitchen with them and joining in on the fun!

First, when Julie says she wants to write a food blog and wants to know what her husband thinks, it was like a scene in our household. Haha! She thinks it's a wonderful idea, he is like, "Sure, whatever you want." He's listening, but just thinking ...that's kinda weird. Haha! That's sort of of how it went in our household. Granted, I wasn't exactly coming up with a NEW idea though.

Seeing Julia always wanting to cook for friends and have them over was also a familiar scene in our household. I know our friends Kevin and Melissa could attest. We are frequently calling them over to have meals that I'm sure sound a little foreign! Haha! I love cooking for others.

I'm sure I could go on and on with the similarities, but I'm just glad I finally have a favorite movie. I've never had one! Until now, when people asked me my favorite movie, I'd sort of just name one off that came to my head that I liked; nothing I was really passionate about. Now....OMG, this is absolutely my favorite.

With all of this cooking excitement, I'm off to make something, head to grocery store for more ingredients, and then cook some more! OH...here's some links you might also enjoy :)

Julie Powell's Current Blog

Julie Powell's Blog that started it all

The first day of Julie Powell's blog :) After seeing this movie, it's exciting to read it.

The Book

Bon Appetit! Oh, and did you see it? What did you think?!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin