Monday, December 7, 2009

Creamy Chicken and Rigatoni

Can I just say, OMG DELICIOUS!!!! I am telling you right now, you have no reason not to make this meal...unless your stove is out. That's the only reason I'll allow. We thought this was one of the best pastas we have ever eaten.

I resorted to an older cookbook of mine for this pasta. The cookbook is an oldie but goodie. I actually used it for the Italian Sausage Ravioli with Roasted Red Pepper Cream post.

Ingredients:
2 teaspoons olive or vegetable oil
1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast halves, cut into 1-inch pieces
1 clove garlic, finely chopped

1 teaspoon dried basil leaves
1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
1 can (14 1/2 ounces) dice tomatoes, well drained
1 cup whipping (heavy) cream
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1/4 teaspoon ground red (cayenne) pepper
1 1/3 cups uncooked rigatoni pasta (4 ounces)
1/2 bag (16-0unce size) frozen broccoli, red pepper, onions and mushrooms, thawed and well drained
Shredded Parmesan cheese, if desired

Directions:
Heat oil in 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat. Cook chicken, garlic, basil and oregano in oil about 5 minutes, stirring frequently, until chicken is no longer pink in center.

Stir in tomatoes, whipping cream, salt, pepper and red pepper. Heat to boiling; reduce heat to low. Simmer uncovered about 10 minutes or until slightly thickened.

Cook and drain pasta as directed on package. Stir pasta and vegetables into chicken mixture; cook until hot. Serve with cheese.

Makes 4 servings.

If you are making this for a family of 4, I would suggest doubling the recipe. I made the full recipe for the 2 of us, and we only had one serving left for leftovers.

Again, we were completely surprised as how flavorful and tasty this pasta tasted, and I'm already thinking about when I need to make it again. Note: I rarely make anything twice.

1 comment:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin