Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Devilish Sesame Chicken with Green Beans and Scallion Rice

I did not start eating Chinese food until college, I think, simply because I never knew I liked it! I don't remember the first time I had it, but now I love it! When I read through this recipe, I was confident I would love this recipe. Although, as I prepared the meal, I had my doubts. I need not have had those doubts because this is an absolutely delicious meal. My sous chef and I gobbled this one up!

This recipe comes from Rachael Ray's Big Orange book, but it is apparently also found in her Everyday Magazine. The portions of this recipe that I will list are those that come from her Big Orange Book, which is part of the 'Meals for One' chapter. Thus, the recipe listed below is meant for one, but the clickable recipe above is the portions for 4 servings.

Ingredients:
1 tablespoon canola or vegetable oil
1/4 cup white rice
3/4 cup chicken stock

2 scallions, finely chopped
Salt
1 boneless skinless chicken breast, thinly sliced
1/2 red bell pepper, seeded and thinly sliced
1 teaspoon hot sauce

1 rounded teaspoon Dijon mustard
1 tablespoon tamari (aged soy sauce)
1 tablespoon honey
1 teaspoon sesame oil
2 teaspoons sesame seeds, toasted

Directions:
In a small skillet, heat 1/2 tablespoon of the oil over medium-high heat. Add the rice and toast for a minute or two, then add 1/2 cup of the chicken stock. Stir and reduce the heat to low, cover the pan with a small plate or aluminum foil, and cook until the rice is tender, about 17 minutes. Add the scallions to the rice in the last minute of cooking time.


Bring 1 inch of water to to a boil in a second small pan and salt it. Add the beans and cook for 2 minutes, then drain them and run them under cold water to set the green color. Set aside.

When the rice has cooked for about 8 minutes, heat the remaining 1/2 tablespoon of oil in a skillet over high heat until it ripples. Add the chicken and cook until it is lightly golden, 3 to 4 minutes. Add the bell pepper and cook for 2 to 3 minutes.


In a small bowl, mix together the hot sauce, mustard, tamari, honey, and the remaining 1/4 cup chicken stock.


Add the green beans to the chicken and peppers and toss for 1 minute. Pour the sauce over the chicken and vegetables and toss for a minutes or two to heat through. Remove from the heat and drizzle the sesame oil over the chicken.

Fluff the rice with a fork and transfer to a shallow bowl. Top with the chicken and garnish with the sesame seeds.

We were very impressed with the taste of freshness, the flavor filled rice, and the overall impressive taste of this recipe!


Oh, and HAPPY 70TH BIRTHDAY NANA!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin