Friday, April 9, 2010

Creamy Farfalle with Bacon, Tomato and Peas

Creamy Farfalle with Bacon, Tomato and Peas Krista Kooks 7 This is Part 1 of a fabulous dinner that the sous chef and I shared recently.  I separate them, however, because they can be individual players in any meal.  I will share pictures of them paired together for the meal though.

This recipe introduced me to a new ingredient: mascarpone cheese.  I’ve never ever used it before, and I don’t think I’ve ever eaten it before.  I’m not quite sure.

I would like you to take note that I did not slice my mushrooms; I took help from the grocery store and bought them pre-sliced.  Some were a little thick, so I sliced them smaller, but this otherwise made preparation a little quicker.  I’m always a fan of finding ways to make things a little easier if I think I can get basically the same taste out of the shortcut.  It’s kind of a Sandra Lee way, but not to that extent.  Also, this recipe makes a lot of pasta, so I would recommend halving this recipe, even for four people.

Nonetheless, here’s another fabulous Rachael Ray Big Orange Book recipe!Rachel Ray
Ingredients

1 pound farfalle, bow ties
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
5 slices center cut bacon, chopped
1 medium onion, chopped
12 white mushrooms, thinly sliced
1 (28 oz.) can San Marzano tomatoes
1 (10-ounce) box frozen peas
1/4 cup mascarpone cheese
1/2 cup basil leaves, shredded or torn

Directions

Bring a large pot of water to a boil for the pasta.

Heat 1 tablespoon of the EVOO in a deep large skillet over medium-high heat.  Add the bacon and cook for 3 to 4 minutes to crisp.  Add the onions and mushrooms to the skillet, season with salt and pepper, and cook until tender but not browned, 5 minutes.  Creamy Farfalle with Bacon, Tomato and Peas Krista Kooks 2 Add the tomatoes, crushing them up with a wooden spoon, and simmer on low heat for 15 minutes. Creamy Farfalle with Bacon, Tomato and Peas Krista Kooks 4 Salt the boiling water and add the pasta.  Cook to al dente.

Stir peas into sauce, return to bubble and stir in mascarpone cheese.  Adjust seasoning.
Drain pasta, toss with sauce and wilt basil into pasta.
Creamy Farfalle with Bacon, Tomato and Peas Krista Kooks 6

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin